About Social Networking
Tips to keeping your children safe while using social networking sites:
- The Internet is Permanent; anything posted (even if you delete it) can be retrieved.
- Don’t let social networks keep them from face-to-face interaction with their peers.
- As a general guideline, don’t let your child befriend anyone online they/you haven’t spent time with in person.
- Know their password for any social network accounts. This is the only way to effectively monitor their activity.
- When they want to post a picture to their online account, ask them if they would be comfortable having that same picture shown on the LCD screen at Church Sunday morning. If not, they shouldn’t post it.
- Teach them to take notice of photos taken of them, especially on cell phones. Almost all mobile phones can upload a picture to Facebook and tag your son or daughter within 30 seconds of the photo being taken.
- Have high privacy settings for their social network account(s).
- Many social networking users misrepresent who they really are as a person. Teach your kids to not change their personality (No matter how tempting!), but to be true to who they are.
- Have a good reason for having a social networking account. Many people around the world are using social networks as a tool to spread the gospel, start Bible studies, Discipleship programs, etc. Teach your children to use these tools wisely, and to advance God’s Kingdom – not their own.
- SET TIME LIMITS, and stick to them!
- Install filtering/monitoring software (such as Safe Eyes) and check their reports at least once a week, or more if they’ve engaged in high risk internet behavior in the past.
The following two tabs change content below.
The GOV Team
Volunteers at Generations of Virtue
The GOV team is comprised of 8 full-time volunteers in their 20s and 30s. With a desire to equip the nations to live a lifestyle of purity, the team diligently works to create events, speaking and print material, and helping young people see how God’s message of purity translates into our current culture. Whether the GOV team is on the road or hanging out at home, they are sure to be drinking way too much coffee. One of their favorite pastimes is jamming to worship songs. The team is blessed to live in the majestic mountains of Colorado and the beautiful countryside of western New York.
Latest posts by The GOV Team (see all)
- 2014 Tech Buying Guide - November 26, 2014
- The Father Effect – 14 Minutes That Will Change Your Perspective [VIDEO] - November 3, 2014
- Easter Bunny Meets the Resurrection - April 11, 2014
- Setting a Paradigm for Purity - March 12, 2014
- Prayers for our Children - March 1, 2014