5-minute devos for the busy family
Part 1 of our series on connecting as a family
You wake up at 6:30AM, sleepily make your way to the coffee pot, and proceed with making your little ones breakfast before they head off to school, or if you homeschool, before you start school! The rest of your day consists of errands, cooking, cleaning, laundry, being chauffeur, homework, music practice, putting out fires and paying the bills. Our days are filled with activities and commitments that can seem endless.
So how in all this activity do we incorporate family devotions? It’s one of the most important ways we can connect as a family, and get our priorities in order. It’s a time we can disciple our kids and learn and grow together. Where to start?
Here are a few practical ideas on how you can begin the habit of daily family devos:
- Depending on the ages of your kids, find a book to read. For younger ones, My Big Book of Five Minute Devos is the perfect choice, it’s fun and really only takes 5 minutes. If you feel you’re kids are ready for something older, Character Building from the Life of Jesus is really an excellent choice.
- Another idea is to ask every member of the family about a prayer request they have. Maybe your 6-year old is struggling with a math concept. Write it down! Maybe you or your husband are disappointed in your jobs. Simply ask God for His help in these areas. It’s a great way for your kids to see how God cares about the little things, and all of our concerns.
- Pick a favorite worship song! It doesn’t matter if none of you can carry a tune – thankfully God looks at our heart and not our talent when worshipping Him.
- If devos everyday sounds unrealistic, start out with 3 times a week, and work your way to everyday. Get your kids excited about it – remember they are watching YOUR attitude. Take care to not let them think family devotions is a burden.
Tip: don’t stress on content. What’s important is that you as a family are spending time seeking God. So if you have trouble finding a book, not to worry!
Does your family do devos? We’d love for you to share your ideas!
The GOV Team
Latest posts by The GOV Team (see all)
- 2014 Tech Buying Guide - November 26, 2014
- The Father Effect – 14 Minutes That Will Change Your Perspective [VIDEO] - November 3, 2014
- Easter Bunny Meets the Resurrection - April 11, 2014
- Setting a Paradigm for Purity - March 12, 2014
- Prayers for our Children - March 1, 2014